Opinions on Serious Roleplay

May 4, 2020
This is only going to be a quick post but I wanted people's opinions on this topic. Recently on the server I've been noticing there isn't any serious role play going on, we have people talking about real life matters and situations in game and many people breaking character in situations that are meant to be serious and in RP.

When it comes to SWRP its important to have a more serious environment in order to create a fun and exciting atmosphere for the players. If this aspect isn't present then it turns into a complete joke and more like DarkRP which it isn't meant to be.

Anyway, what does everyone think about bringing more serious RP aspects into the server? No addons or workshop packages, just rules and regulations the players must stick by in order to keep the server serious and fresh.

Let me know below this thread and I'll read what everyone says I really think this is necessary. If the results are in favour of the serious RP I'll see what I can do. Seriously consider it and let me know.

swans-jailer
Apr 24, 2020
I don't think it's possible, no matter what people want some individuality which will remove the in depth serious roleplay they try to muster. It is an impossible feat to create a serious enviornment as people don't share an opinionated view on the fun it can prosper and instead would rather just do whatever and see where it goes. Of course there are exceptions with that statement but overall semi-serious is the only reasonable and in my opinion possible trend on a starwarsrp server.

swans-jailer
May 4, 2020
I don't think it's possible, no matter what people want some individuality which will remove the in depth serious roleplay they try to muster. It is an impossible feat to create a serious enviornment as people don't share an opinionated view on the fun it can prosper and instead would rather just do whatever and see where it goes. Of course there are exceptions with that statement but overall semi-serious is the only reasonable and in my opinion possible trend on a starwarsrp server.
Well in my past experiences on SWRP I’ve been on servers that have been on the more serious side of RP and those servers thrived with 70 players minimum everyday which is what I hope to create a slither of here because I believe with the lack of seriousness and the lack of dedication to the RP in the server it is making some people burnt out and less determined to play on the server. I completely understand where you’re coming from and in some parts I agree however, I will make sure to take all the feedback from this post and make a middle ground and try make everyone happy because it’s not doing well for the server right now. But yeah thank you for your reply anyway :)

swans-jailer
Reactions: Snoop
Apr 24, 2020
Well in my past experiences on SWRP I’ve been on servers that have been on the more serious side of RP and those servers thrived with 70 players minimum everyday which is what I hope to create a slither of here because I believe with the lack of seriousness and the lack of dedication to the RP in the server it is making some people burnt out and less determined to play on the server. I completely understand where you’re coming from and in some parts I agree however, I will make sure to take all the feedback from this post and make a middle ground and try make everyone happy because it’s not doing well for the server right now. But yeah thank you for your reply anyway :)
The problem here though is those servers were built up on that foundation whereas this would be reconstruction on a middle point which can cause a tip or even a crash if to much has to quickly. An even balance would be hard to find here as it almost changes the complete nature of the server that's been built up on the less serious side, however like i said it's a reconstruction so it could also attract new people if built up properly but it is a high gamble.

swans-jailer
May 4, 2020
Ye
The problem here though is those servers were built up on that foundation whereas this would be reconstruction on a middle point which can cause a tip or even a crash if to much has to quickly. An even balance would be hard to find here as it almost changes the complete nature of the server that's been built up on the less serious side, however like i said it's a reconstruction so it could also attract new people if built up properly but it is a high gamble.
Yeah that’s completely understood I was originally intending to make small changes first like in game rules and regulations before making suggestions etc and just make sure it’s as stress free as possible and as smooth as possible to but I completely agree and understand where you’re coming from

swans-jailer
Apr 24, 2020
Ye

Yeah that’s completely understood I was originally intending to make small changes first like in game rules and regulations before making suggestions etc and just make sure it’s as stress free as possible and as smooth as possible to but I completely agree and understand where you’re coming from
I do think overall it's a good idea and can be a change for the better but it is overall going to be decided from a majority as it is such a controversial subject.

swans-jailer
May 4, 2020
I do think overall it's a good idea and can be a change for the better but it is overall going to be decided from a majority as it is such a controversial subject.
Yeah that’s the only obstacle but I’ll try my best to make it a better environment with what I have right now. I do appreciate the feedback as well so thank you.

swans-jailer

Ferret

Staff member
Server Staff
SWRP Event Staff
Sep 26, 2018
I think this is a good idea, I’d love to have some more serious role play. I don’t know what the community reaction to this would be like though.

swans-jailer

Vapour

VIP
Jul 5, 2018
London, U.K
I've spent some of this year on a serious roleplay community and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But it wasn't SWRP.
SWRP and DC, in particular, is a difficult platform to implement due to the player base and server style. By this, I mean:

1. Most of the player base is very young. When I joined in 2018, I was 15, and one of the youngest here. Now, most people are below 15, and alongside this comes a general immaturity (I hate to generalize as there are some sound RP'ers in this age range but mostly do fuck all)
  2. It is very staff-led, people don't want to/ cannot immerse themselves without the helping hand of a staff member.
Possible solutions to this could be:

1. Enforcing a punishment system for those to not abide by SeriousRP - particularly, the full PK of a character (Where they lose access to the rank, and not just the name - PK's here are incredibly light)
  2. Give players more power in regards to RolePlay, letting them do small situations without what is essentially adult supervision.
This would be very beneficial to DC, or at least to try. Many here would love to implement SeriousRP as it is great fun. But I do doubt it's a success due to the player base.

swans-jailer
Reactions: Chiggsey
May 4, 2020
I've spent some of this year on a serious roleplay community and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But it wasn't SWRP.
SWRP and DC, in particular, is a difficult platform to implement due to the player base and server style. By this, I mean:

1. Most of the player base is very young. When I joined in 2018, I was 15, and one of the youngest here. Now, most people are below 15, and alongside this comes a general immaturity (I hate to generalize as there are some sound RP'ers in this age range but mostly do fuck all)
  2. It is very staff-led, people don't want to/ cannot immerse themselves without the helping hand of a staff member.
Possible solutions to this could be:

1. Enforcing a punishment system for those to not abide by SeriousRP - particularly, the full PK of a character (Where they lose access to the rank, and not just the name - PK's here are incredibly light)
  2. Give players more power in regards to RolePlay, letting them do small situations without what is essentially adult supervision.
This would be very beneficial to DC, or at least to try. Many here would love to implement SeriousRP as it is great fun. But I do doubt it's a success due to the player base.
Thank you for the reply, I also think it’d benefit the server and the people in it too and of course help the staff out with the stress and I understand that it will be hard but I’ll do everything I can in game to try make that environment but the feedback is appreciated I think the younger community can adapt to certain things too I did in the old community I used to play on which was 4 years ago so we’ll see what happens. Thank you for the reply anyway

swans-jailer
Reactions: Vapour

Marcus

Staff member
Server Staff
Sep 10, 2018
Gibraltar
Yes I would love this, but I'm going to be honest we've done it in the past before and it didnt even last a week, I find it to be staff and players fault not being consistent at the time. This server will only develop tbh if more RP is involved, I want it but idk if others are bothered to change.

swans-jailer
May 4, 2020
Yes I would love this, but I'm going to be honest we've done it in the past before and it didnt even last a week, I find it to be staff and players fault not being consistent at the time. This server will only develop tbh if more RP is involved, I want it but idk if others are bothered to change.
I will try and organise everything I can to try make it last and efficient.

swans-jailer
Apr 25, 2020
I think this is a good idea for a lot of good reasons, which not all of I will list.

Firstly this will make the server more organised and won't have as much immature role play.

Secondly commenting on what people said about the player base being "younger than 15 years old" my reply to that is "who cares" 13-14 year olds are more than capable of doing serious role play and I have seen this many times on different servers there have been 14 year olds who can write and role play better than me, not to mention I was a super admin at only 15 Years of Age which took responsibility.

Third with people saying this will be a gamble I do agree but for a server like this to not be able to reach max players is surprising to me, and I really do think this can improve the player base by quite the amount.

Finally I would like to say this is one of the Ideas I have been wanting to bring up my self as I really do believe in it's success with increasing the server population to beat India and China combined.

swans-jailer
Apr 24, 2020
I think best thing currently is people to pitch forward idea's now instead of simply saying "I agree," this post was saying we should readjust certain server aspects and it will come down to what would actually fit the community. All good saying "Yeah lets seriousrp" what do you consider serious rp? What rules need to be in place to serious rp? How is this development going to be made, things need to be suggested now it's what's going to push for this sort of effect to work.

swans-jailer
Jun 26, 2020
Wrong. Undenied has spent a very long time writing huge documents on certain characters which all tie in with something which has lots of Role play.
That's one person in a pretty large community. How many others have written a biography for the character their playing as?

It's weird how people get banned for NITRP & Minging when there actually is no roleplay on the server in the first place.

swans-jailer

Ferret

Staff member
Server Staff
SWRP Event Staff
Sep 26, 2018
That's one person in a pretty large community. How many others have written a biography for the character their playing as?

It's weird how people get banned for NITRP & Minging when there actually is no roleplay on the server in the first place.
Firstly, you’re in no position to comment if you haven’t actually played the server recently. There is RP however it isn’t exactly easy to sustain it at all times.

Secondly, there are quite a few characters that have been written but I really don’t think it’s expected that the whole community would have to write biographies to create a role play environment. Instead, maintaining a level of maturity and inter-cooperation between players would be more beneficial to the server.

swans-jailer
Jun 26, 2020
Firstly, you’re in no position to comment if you haven’t actually played the server recently. There is RP however it isn’t exactly easy to sustain it at all times.

Secondly, there are quite a few characters that have been written but I really don’t think it’s expected that the whole community would have to write biographies to create a role play environment. Instead, maintaining a level of maturity and inter-cooperation between players would be more beneficial to the server.
Like one month ago, when I last played no one had written their character, and it was obvious that no one had intentions to. By the way, I'm not talking about some event character, but the actual clone you're playing.

People co-operated, yet there was no actual roleplay except a few marches & trainings that involved shooting eachother.

swans-jailer