Votes: 19 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 24 55.8%

• Total voters

Drewbie

Staff member
Owner
Nov 30, 2015
If you were on yesterday you probably noticed the frequent crashes. Well this was caused by an exploit in gmod using nocollide and some other tools. We did manage to fix one of the methods, and I have reached out to our host to receive help since a lot of servers have been having this issue. They gave me a code which will prevent all of the methods of crashing the server with the nocollide using a piece of code which disables nocollide.

My question is do we want to be 100% safe from these crashes and disable nocollide? I like many others knows that this will have a huge impact on base building, but is that a bad thing?

I thought about it for a while and thought no its not worth it, but after thinking about it for a while it could make base building more fair and probably a bit more fun. Doing so we no longer can walk through the props, but rather have to go around or make proper "cover" would be really fun to see.

Now this has only happened to us once, but it can happened as long as we don't put this code in. For the moment we have not been attacked enough by this for me to implement the code, but I wanted to ask the community do you guys want this? maybe it could make base building more interesting and raiding more fun? Vote and leave a comment.

Pros:
New base building meta
No longer super unfair advantage by walking through the props
Opens up for more creativity and more cover based base building
Fixes the exploit to crash the server

Cons:
Build new bases
Harder to defend

I would just like to remind everyone to consider it carefully, yes you may have to rebuild your bases. But the moment you have a full base of printers and someone crashes it, and you voted to against it well then jokes on you. Don't be lazy and remember if we remove it we don't have to worry about it.

swans-jailer
Last edited:
Reactions: Hakus1337

Solid

Server Staff
Premium
VIP
Official Guide Author
Dec 30, 2017
I would want to see it either on the test server OR have it temporarily for a week or so and then see what people think then.
The crashing is a big thing to consider though, since minges aren't anything new in GMOD, having them crash our great server will definetely be a target.

swans-jailer
Reactions: Hakus1337

Hakus1337

Premium
VIP
Apr 1, 2018
I would want to see it either on the test server OR have it temporarily for a week or so and then see what people think then.
The crashing is a big thing to consider though, since minges aren't anything new in GMOD, having them crash our great server will definetely be a target.
we had kids target it yesterday :* 10+ perm bans

swans-jailer

Drewbie

Staff member
Owner
Nov 30, 2015
Just to understand this more clearly, you are disabling the automatic nocollide thingy while 2 props collide with eachother or the No-collide tool itself?
Its a bout nocollide tool and through the context menu.

For now this has only happened yesterday which I'm aware of since it was so excessive, there may have been other times of course someone has done this. If this becomes a bigger problem I will do it regardless, but for now I will let the community have a say. However I hope everyone thinks about the outcome here, yes you may have to rebuild your bases etc. But the moment you have a base full of printers and someone does this you may think oh shit maybe we should have removed this.

The thing is that if we remove it now we don't have to worry about it.

Its about the No-collier tool itself, No more No-colliding
Yes and the context menu.

swans-jailer

Brad

Premium
VIP
Jul 17, 2017
England, United Kingdom
To be honest im fine with this i was 100% at first that it should be disabled then i remembered nearly all of my bases have no collided props, but then i thought of a couple ideas without no collide and i actually think that i can make a nice base without no collide and probably will get started on it when im next on ??

Adds more angle aspect to it and as Drewbie said makes it so people will actually have to make defensive cover which realistically wont be an issue.

I really like this idea by the way Solid nice thinking however i think test server would be good not temporarily.

swans-jailer

Brad

Premium
VIP
Jul 17, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Removing no-colliding would make defending impossible. Defending a base against a high level raider is already hard but without no collide probably impossible.
Crashing constantly because of no collide would be an issue also if someone was raiding xD. However, i do see your point but also there are wys ti defend against people without no collide just make abovr shooting and ramps and you stand on the ramp and keep going up it to shoot xD

swans-jailer

Drewbie

Staff member
Owner
Nov 30, 2015
Removing no-colliding would make defending impossible. Defending a base against a high level raider is already hard but without no collide probably impossible.
Not really? you can still have a maze and one way props, the difference is you can not walk through it. You can still take cover behind it and peak from over or the sides of it depending on how it is. You will still have that advantage of seeing your attacker when he can't see you.

Its pretty simple really, what if I'm not on at the time when someone does exploit this? they can crash it for hours.

swans-jailer

Best-Potato

Premium
Official Reseller
Jun 9, 2017
Parts Unknown
Not really? you can still have a maze and one way props, the difference is you can not walk through it. You can still take cover behind it and peak from over or the sides of it depending on how it is. You will still have that advantage of seeing your attacker when he can't see you.

Its pretty simple really, what if I'm not on at the time when someone does exploit this? they can crash it for hours.
Yeah I get why it is a problem. Maybe the building rules can be changed to ease it a bit.

swans-jailer
May 23, 2018
I think if this goes through then they need to mix the rules up so you can have clear/Near invisible props so that you can defend ya base but i totally agree it should be tested before a final vote is made.

swans-jailer